Sunday, March 22, 2009

Session 1

3-11-09

My Interview with a Psychic
I have had a running conversation with my friend Phillip that has lasted over twenty years. Once I was able to overlook that fact he is a self-described as a psychic, it became easy to receive the gift of a critical yet loving eye. Phillip and I recently partnered together to create Psychic Personality Inventory Services to market Phillip’s talents.

In the interest of transparency and open dialogue, we are holding a series of discussions loosely based on an interview format to be published in this blog. I will start each session with one question and see where it leads us. Our goal is to explore the psychic phenomenon in an environment that values the free market of ideas.

Phillip is a psychic with over forty years of experience. Though I would prefer not to define him to narrowly at this point, allowing the interviews to do that in time, I have witnessed his abilities and accuracy both personally and with others. As for myself, my name is Bill Taylor. I am a former art teacher and corporate trainer. In simple terms it would be polite to describe myself as a healthy skeptic regarding the paranormal. I hope to bring some of my skepticism to our discussions.

Session 1

(Bill) What does the word Psychic (capital P) mean?

Let me see if I can pull something out of my butt here… Oh that’s it, um... and what was the question now? Shit… OK Bill, know you get it, that’s how I do my craft. I didn’t even think about what I was going to say.

(Bill) But… you didn’t say anything.

But you re-asked the question though.

(Bill) Yes… I guess I did.

But, no, I really should answer your question.

(Bill) Thank you.

Being Psychic for me means that I know things to be absolutely true for myself in the moment, and as a result, I’m able to express things more eloquently even without forethought. As I say, being psychic isn’t about always being right. It’s about telling the truth. And, as a truth teller I am sometimes able to tell the future with a surprisingly high degree of accuracy. Ha Ha Ha (responding to my expression) Well,… you asked.

(Bill) OK, how can truth for you, in that moment, be universally applicable to others?

No, I would never presume to speak for somebody else. Part of the training, in my discipline, demands that I exercise extreme respect for all beings, human and otherwise. Life is too beautiful not to see.

(Bill) That is what I complain about in new age language, it’s inspirational yet vague and because of massive repetition, trite.

Oh finally, now we’re getting somewhere. I hate having to lie to people. I don’t like taking advantage of people. I wouldn’t be able to see as many people as I do if I didn’t really care. I appreciate, Bill, your ability to not lie and I appreciate your concerns. When I tell people I’m a psychic I get a lot of laughs. And I laugh right along with them. And I feel no shame.

(Bill) Does that mean you don’t take yourself seriously?

Yes, I feel conflicted. Wouldn’t you? I’m not God. I’m not even sure I even believe in an afterlife. However, I like people. I don’t even know what else to say. Am I being too oblique?

(Bill) Yes, if not then cryptic. Sorry, my sense of humor is often poorly used. OK, what does it mean to “like people”?

Oh, you want proof. You want a test.

(Bill) Not necessarily, I want language that makes sense and I can engage with and spare the bleeping unicorns please.

What’s wrong with the word magic?

(Bill) In a word…LOADED!

Your damn right loaded! Language is loaded with meaning. I swoon; I’m a drunkard of the spirit. You want to hear the truth? Go to somebody who has nothing to gain from telling you the truth. You want no unicorns. That might be a personal issue Bill. I’m never seen one myself and I have a wonderful imagination. I could go on but it would only get cornier.

(Bill) Well, I think unicorns are cute and all, but, it is obvious to the world that if they did exist they are now fiction. Why link something that I believe could be the most real of all to, well so much fiction. Skip the rainbows and love dolphins too,… please.

Bill your absolutely right. I have no business burdening you or anybody else with unnecessary garbage. I’m not interested in trying to get people’s money. I’ve had more than enough opportunity to do so and was very bad at it. My reasons for not wanting to take advantage of people are purely selfish. Should I be totally candid here?

(Bill) Yes, please.

I can’t handle the stress of lying to people and that means I’m really good at what I do. Now that doesn’t mean that I don’t have feelings, vision, and awareness’s that others don’t have cause to learn about.

(Bill) So then, you’re saying that it can be a challenge making money as a psychic if you’re not willing to blow sunshine up the client’s skirt/Dockers. Sorry, I can be cynical at times, too many times.

You shouldn't feel guilty about this. It’s the top's dilemma; you don’t want to hurt anybody.

(Bill) Yes, and I want to provide a good product, something that adds tangible value to people’s lives.

You make me proud. I trust you not to take any shit from me. If I can offer a service I’m here. Is there anything else today? Thanks again,… bye.

(Bill) What? That’s it?

I’m sorry, my sessions are very to the point and I don’t want to exhaust my audience with trivialities.

(Bill) Though I see some juicy bits here in our conversation, I can’t help but point out that you slipped out from under a few of my questions. How do you feel about my challenges?

Bill, you are absolutely right. I feel I am on the defensive. In all honestly, why would anybody want to be a psychic? It’s kind of icky, like being a guru, people want to love you. Let’s get back to the big question. What does being a psychic mean? I am lyrically enhanced. I can speak to your deepest thoughts and I love you. Does that answer your question? More to the point, at this point you are who I am reading. And I thank you for your time. Will there be anything else today.

(Bill) I sense you want this to end.

Do you want it to go on? Did I answer to your satisfaction?

(Bill) Well, you did give me some answers. Here is what I heard you say. You are in a place spiritually and culturally that frees you enough to speak the truth. Also, as a part of that, you have nothing to gain by lying. Or, at least would prefer it that way. You don’t want to hurt anyone and would prefer to help people by providing the service your gift has to offer. Finally, because you are a zenophile, and love people, you soak up, for lack of a better way of saying it, the person your reading and can reflect their self back to them. How’s that?

Perfect, perfect, perfect. You’re making me tell the truth, to mean what I say, and take action. We are calling out the elephant in the room. The question is what does it mean to be a psychic? Are psychics liars? Are they bullshit artists? Are they story tellers? What are we going to do about that? Maybe I should turn that question back to you.

(Bill) Now this has been the type of dialogue I was hoping for. I feel we have some clarity about terms and ideas. I don’t know what to do about society’s stereotypes regarding psychics. I do know one of my sisters will have issues with this blog for example. But we can’t let society’s narrow definition control our ideas. Anyway, this is a good place to leave this for now. We can continue next time. Do you have any final thoughts?

Not for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment