Monday, March 23, 2009

Session 2

3-16-09
This is the second installment of my interview with a psychic. Phillip and I are adjusting our approach to this exercise constantly as we figure out what means to discuss his psychic approach in an interview via a blog. We’ll just jump right into it today.

(Bill) How do you expect people to understand what you’re talking about in your readings without a common frame of reference?

I don’t! I have to create a personal frame of reference with each individual by speaking their language. There is no one language for universal understanding.

(Bill) What do you mean by multiple languages? Does that mean humans will never be able to communicate effectively with each other?

As a reader, the challenge for me is to interpret and translate language. My training as a medium revolves around using understanding as currency. The actual fluid of human communications is understanding. My capacity for understanding and comprehending others is the central requirement of my job description. Unless I’m able understand people, I’m not able to make sense. Does that answer your question?


(Bill) I’m not sure. OK, I get that you don’t mean actual languages like French and stuff, but I still am unclear about how you are using the word. So, give me your definition of language as used here.

Que se moi? Case in point, I had to ask you if I was making sense. I get the privilege of having you ask me to clarify. I am never sure if I am making sense or not. I have to ask you if you see the same thing that I am, and if you are hearing what I am intending for you to get. When I’m reading somebody’s hands or handwriting, I generally am so engrossed in looking at that persons signs I don’t have to worry about whether I’m telling the truth, I know my craft. And as a craftsman, in sincerity to my craft, I retain my dignity.

(Bill) Why do we, the clients, feel light headed and slightly out of sync after a reading?

It’s because of the change of perspective. The focus of attention can be fluid and it is subject to change. When we have a change of perspective, there is almost always something lost and something gained. Unless the gain is worth the loss, I’m not doing my job right. It is my responsibility to let people come to me for alternative perspectives.

(Bill) Is it difficult to be in public? Do you suffer from overload?

I weep. The world is a beautiful place with little horrors all around us, some of our own design. Most of the time we feel very alone until we are able communicate. Even then life is short for all of us. Enough about me, I also worry about the impact of my awareness on others.

(Bill) Explain that last idea a little more, about concern over your impact on others. Is that in everyday life or in a reading?

Yes, both. Can I type that out for you? Could you get me something to eat?
(Bill) Good multi tasking, would you like…,

Anything, thanks. There are certain aspects of what you are asking about that are private. The public challenge is to not create upheavals in society. I’m concerned for those people who would not understand what I am doing. I would not want to be confusing others.

(Bill) You mean people like my sister. I love her dearly and I don’t really want to appear to challenge her very strong evangelical faith. It’s best that she just not know… for now I guess. Eventualities you know…

What does she think you are doing, having sex with Satan?

(Bill) Ha Ha… Well, not that far off really, but I’m already fallen, long ago.

Awww that’s too bad.

(Bill) Oh stop it. I’m just pointing out an example of what I have termed a strict mind, adhering to a doctrine of their choice. That’s beef bourguignon, do you like it?

Yes, it wonderful. If we really wanted to get highly technical at this point we could. I am not only criticized by scientists but also Christians too. Not only is science opposed to fiction, but Christianity is opposed to Satan. This is what I call a mutually inclusive double negative opinion bias directed against me or more precisely against my calling. This would indicate that, as a psychic, I am not sure if I’m able to reach these people. I feel deeply for them though. I have nothing but good things to say about them. None the less, just because the bias is against one doesn’t mean you’re wrong. Merely that the odds are against you, even if you are right.

(Bill) So would you tell the truth to my sister, knowing who she is? I guess I must be really asking is should I tell her the truth.

My experience has shown that generally it is my privilege to ask for other people’s permission before I tell them anything. Are we feeling the heart chakra open up?

(Bill) Yes, as a matter of fact. You’re just giving them fair warning aren’t you?

Oh, Very very good. Yes but also, by asking permission you’re showing respect. And that’s what we all deserve. Is there anything else I can do for you? Because I think I’ll go in a corner and cry now.

Afterword

We ran out of time at this point even though I felt like I was just getting started with the questions. So I thought I would add some interviewer’s thoughts in an attempt to wrap it up, if that’s possible. One thought I had reading this section is that our wry humor does not translate well. For example, Phillip’s comment at the end about “going in a corner and cry now” was a sarcastic truth statement about his sensitivity toward others needs. Does it translate? I’m not sure. That’s something to think about, anyway…

The juicy bits that I gleaned from today’s session meander a bit, but, I see some threads. First thing that comes to mind is that Phillip tunes in to each individual, as mentioned in the previous blog, but this time he used the terms ‘speak their language’. When pressed about the word language he focused on understanding for each individual as the source of his skills as a reader… something about understanding being an essential part of the job description. All of this after he peaks my interest with, “There is no one language for universal understanding.” That statement seems darker upon reflection than it did when he first said it. At the time it was liberating though I’m struggling to explain why at the moment.

Another interesting point is how a psychic copes with the world. The real Alison Dubois makes it look easy, but I can’t imagine it really is. Phillip focused on people who are unable to be read because of what he called “mutually inclusive double negative opinion bias”. His point was about general bias against psychics but to me this means that with some people, for a certain percentage, our opinion biases are so diametrically opposed that they cancel each other out. Or more importantly, that their language is so different that understanding is not possible. It is difficult for me to negotiate an understanding with my sister, for example, even though we both try hard not to hurt each other. Our cultural languages are quite different, causing the inevitable hurt feelings and confusion.

I’m thinking of more questions for next time. This is an interesting process, though tiring.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You quote, “mutually inclusive double negative opinion bias”

    I read this as, “mutually-inclusive double-negative opinion bias”...

    Okay, so the addition of these little hyphens might seem superficial; I'm not trying to be the grammar police here-- rather, I think Phillip might be getting at the idea that certain belief systems and their antitheses mutually support each other; Angels are an anti-demons. Darkness is the absence of light... The *bias* is believing that this is a universal perspective, thereby failing to embrace intermediate perspectives: e.g. "darkness cradles and nourishes light."
    Put another way, "not being bad" is not the same as "being good", and vice-versa. The “mutually inclusive double negative opinion bias” (MIDNOB) perspective doesn't accept this, and presupposes that (not bad)= good; and (not good) = bad, always. Furthermore, including the "double-negative" wrinkle, MIDNOB assumes, (not(not bad)) = bad; and (not(not good)) = good.
    Do ya catch my drift?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect my friend is right. It should be MINDOB, not MIDNOB. The negative double opinion bias is directed against me as the so called psychic by people who disagree about most of everything else. Whether you are Christian or Atheist seems to be irrelevant when it comes to an understandable distrust and prejudice directed toward the careers of psychics. I repeat most often that I prefer working with skeptics for just this reason. Skepticism is often healthy, even when it is symptomatic of intellectual constipation.

    ReplyDelete